What is Embarcadero RAD Studio?
Embarcadero® RAD Studio XE2 is the ultimate application development suite and the fastest way to build data-rich, visually engaging applications for Windows, Mac, mobile, .NET, PHP and the Web. RAD Studio includes Delphi®, C++Builder®, Embarcadero Prism™, and RadPHP™, enabling developers to deliver applications up to 5x faster across multiple desktop, mobile, Web, and database platforms.
Which editions are available and what are the differences between the editions?
RAD Studio XE2 is available in five editions – Starter, Professional, Enterprise, Ultimate and Architect. See the RAD Studio XE2 product editions page and feature matrix for details on the differences between the editions.
What does RAD Studio include?
Delphi XE2 – Embarcadero® Delphi® XE2, now with FireMonkey™, is the fastest way to deliver ultra-rich and visually stunning native applications for Windows, Mac and iOS, allowing developers to dramatically reduce coding time and build applications 5x faster.
C++Builder XE2 – Embarcadero® C++Builder® XE2, now with FireMonkey™, is the only true visual C++ development environment - designed for ultra-fast, component-based creation of highly-maintainable, visually stunning GUI applications for Windows and Mac OS X.
RadPHP XE2 - Embarcadero® RadPHP™ XE2 provides the fastest way to build Web, Facebook®, and mobile applications with the only visual PHP framework and RAD IDE
Embarcadero Prism XE2 - Embarcadero Prism™ XE2 provides a flexible development solution and robust, Delphi-like programming language for rapidly developing .NET, Mono, ASP.NET, and data-driven applications for Windows, Linux and Mac OS X.
DB PowerStudio XE Dev (in Ultimate edition only) – DB PowerStudio provides fast SQL database development, database change management, SQL profiling, and SQL tuning
ER/Studio 9 Developer Edition (in Architect edition only) - ER/Studio helps data architects discover, document, and re-use data assets and gives you the power to easily reverse-engineer, analyze, and optimize existing databases.
InterBase XE Developer Edition – InterBase XE Developer Edition provides developers with the best cross-platform database to build and test database applications for embedded and SME applications.
Additional Tools – RAD Studio includes a comprehensive set of additional tools to help you do more than ever before.
- FastReport VCL 4 RAD edition from Fast Reports so you can quickly design and generate reports
- Documentation Insight from DevJET Software helps you visually read and write XML documentation in the Delphi IDE
- InstallAware Express provides an unsurpassed feature set, enabling you to build sophisticated installations in record time without any programming or scripting skills.
- Rave Reports from Nevrona provides a wide variety of reporting solutions
- TeeChart Standard from Steema provides quick and easy-to-use charting components
- VCL for the Web (IntraWeb) from AtoZed is a complete RAD Web Application framework
- FinalBuilder Embarcadero Edition helps you automate your build process
- CodeSite Express logging tools for building quality applications
- AQtime Standard from SmartBear for performance profiling
- Beyond Compare Text Compare lets you view differences between source files
- RemObjects Internet Tools and Oxfuscator provide additional functionality for internet development and obfuscation in Delphi Prism
Partner Software – RAD Studio users have access to a variety of free and trial editions of tools and components from Embarcadero Technology Partners accessible from the product launcher as either a partner DVD ISO or online from the Embarcadero developer network.
Are earlier version licenses included with RAD Studio XE2?
Yes. With RAD Studio XE2, you also get access to licenses for older versions – Delphi XE, Delphi 2010, Delphi 2009, Delphi 2007, and Delphi 7, C++Builder XE, C++Builder 2010, C++Builder 2009, C++Builder 2007, C++Builder 6, Delphi Prism XE, and RadPHP XE. See the RAD Studio Previous Versions web page for further details.
Can I give away or sell my older version licenses?
No. They are considered part of your XE2 license and are tied to your user account. They cannot be given away or sold.
If I already had an earlier version and requested my free earlier version license, why do you send my same earlier version serial number again instead of a second one?
Your earlier version license and the XE2 you upgrade to are considered one named user license that covers both versions. If you already own an earlier version and go to the web page and request the same version license, you will just get a re-send of your existing serial number.
If I buy an Architect edition, why do I only get Enterprise editions of some of the older licenses?
Some of those earlier products are only available in Professional and Enterprise editions.
Why can't I get version 2006 or the much older versions?
Version 2006 included some third party licensed code that we are no longer able to ship. Delphi 6, C++Builder 5 and earlier were discontinued years ago and we don't have plans to bring them back.
Why can't I manage Delphi 7 and C++Builder 6 licenses via my license manager and AppWave?
Those versions used an earlier version of our licensing technology. We are looking at offering those older versions as apps in a future version of AppWave.
Why do I have to request the older serial numbers and downloads separately? Why don't you just send them all at once when I buy XE2?
It could be a little confusing for some customers when they purchase RAD Studio XE2 and receive twelve different serial numbers and download links. We tried to keep it simple by just delivering the XE2 license and allowing them to request the other licenses as needed.
Why is there a limit of 180 days to request my earlier version licenses?
The real limit is 180 days after the XE2 version is no longer available to purchase. We aren't enforcing it at 180 days from the purchase date for each individual user.
Which localized languages are the older versions available in?
The earlier versions are available in English, French, German and Japanese. For versions 2007 and later, there is a single download and you choose the language at install time. For version Delphi 7 and C++Builder 6, there are separate downloads for each localized version.
Why don't I get the old Delphi for .NET personality of RAD Studio 2007 as a free additional license?
That is an old technology that was replaced by Delphi Prism. We don't want to encourage use of the old Delphi for .NET product so it's not included.
What is Embarcadero All-Access?
If you want to go beyond Windows application development with additional tools for Java, PHP and Ruby on Rails coding; plus a complete set of database tools, Embarcadero All-Access is the solution for you.
Embarcadero All-Access provides all the application development and database tools you need-when you need them-across all major platforms, frameworks, and programming languages. It's the single, cost-effective toolbox solution for developers, architects, performance testers, and DBAs.
All-Access provides you with industry-leading database tools, including DBArtisan®, Rapid SQL ®, ER/Studio®, and many more. It also provides powerful application development tools, including Delphi®, JBuilder®, C++Builder®, Delphi Prism™ the InterBase® SMP database, and more.
Where can I purchase RAD Studio? How much does it cost?
What is Support and Maintenance for RAD Studio?
Support and Maintenance can be purchased at the time you purchase your RAD Studio product or upgrade. The support and maintenance agreement gives you a year of upgrades (including major and minor upgrades) and a specified number of support incidents. See the Support dropdown menu item of our web site for additional information.
Why is it important to buy Support and Maintenance for RAD Studio?
The Embarcadero Prism portion of RAD Studio may have more frequent feature upgrades than the rest of RAD Studio. Only users with active maintenance agreements have access to the new feature upgrades.
Where can I get the latest updates for RAD Studio?
Updates and additional software for RAD Studio users are available on the registered users download page at https://cc.embarcadero.com/reg/rad_studio. More major new feature upgrades are available only to users with current Maintenance agreements. Notifications for those upgrades are delivered via email and the upgrades can be downloaded via the Maintenance Portal web site by following the instructions in the email.
Is RAD Studio available in languages other than English?
RAD Studio is available in English, French, German and Japanese. The installer lets you choose any combination of languages and it’s easy to switch between languages in the IDE.
Which types of licenses are available?
RAD Studio XE2 is available with multiple licensing options including:
- Individual named user licenses delivered via electronic software delivery (ESD) as a download an serial number. Discounted 5-packs and 10-packs are also available.
- Network Named and Concurrent user licenses managed using Embarcadero AppWave and provide the additional flexibility of managing licenses on a license server plus software provisioning
- Network licenses managed by Flexera FlexNet are available on a special request basis
- Academic individual licenses for students and educators as well as volume licenses for classroom use
What are the limitations of the Academic editions?
The Academic edition can be used only for learning in an academic or classroom environment. Educational institutions cannot use the academic version to produce software for use within their institution. Academic licenses don’t qualify for upgrade pricing to commercial licenses.
Who qualifies for the upgrade pricing on RAD Studio XE2?
- Professional upgrade eligibility – Upgrade pricing is available to registered owners of 2009-XE versions of RAD Studio, Delphi or C++Builder. For a limited time through December 31, 2011, registered owners of 2007 versions of Delphi, C++Builder, and RAD Studio products (Professional, Enterprise or Architect editions) also qualify for upgrade pricing.
- Enterprise upgrade eligibility – Upgrade pricing is available to registered owners of 2009-XE versions of RAD Studio, Delphi or C++Builder; Professional, Enterprise or Architect editions. For a limited time through December 31, 2011, registered owners of 2007 versions of Delphi, C++Builder, and RAD Studio; Professional, Enterprise or Architect editions; also qualify for upgrade pricing.
- Architect upgrade eligibility – Upgrade pricing is available to registered owners of 2009-XE versions of RAD Studio, Delphi or C++Builder; Enterprise or Architect editions. For a limited time through December 31, 2011, registered owners of 2007 versions of Delphi, C++Builder, and RAD Studio; Enterprise or Architect editions; also qualify for upgrade pricing.
Academic products do not qualify for upgrade pricing.
Is Blackfish SQL still included in RAD Studio?
Blackfish SQL is no longer included with RAD Studio as of the XE version. If you have a Blackfish SQL license from a previous version, you can continue to use it. As a replacement, we recommend InterBase which is available in multiple configurations and is a great choice as an embedded database.
How is InterBase licensed in RAD Studio?
InterBase XE Developer Edition is InterBase XE Server licensed for up to 20 users and 80 logical connections. You can install InterBase Developer Edition on a server for testing purposes using the serial number included in the Delphi XE2 readme file or you can download and request a serial number from the InterBase download page at https://downloads.embarcadero.com/free/interbase.
When you’re ready to deploy applications using InterBase, Embarcadero offers a variety of editions (Desktop, Server and To-Go) and a variety of licensing options (flexible server licensing, multi-packs and OEM licensing). Contact Embarcadero Sales or partners for more information. See the license terms in the Delphi license.rtf file for additional licensing details.
Is Embarcadero RAD Studio similar to or the same as CodeGear™ RAD Studio and Borland® Developer Studio?
Embarcadero RAD Studio XE2 is the newest version in the studio product line. Earlier versions were named Embarcadero RAD Studio XE, Embarcadero RAD Studio 2010, CodeGear RAD Studio 2009, CodeGear RAD Studio 2007, and Borland Developer Studio 2006.
Where can I find the open source project for the Subversion integration in Delphi XE and C++Builder XE?
What is the support status of different versions of RAD Studio?