Looking for a tool to document your Delphi source code? Now you can use Documentation Insight Express from DevJet Software, included free in Delphi XE2 and RAD Studio XE2.
This tutorial, also available in the Documentation Insight online help, demonstrates how to use Documentation Insight to quickly document your code.
1. Ensure you have successfully installed Documentation Insight Express.
2. Open RAD Studio IDE.
3. Create a new VCL Forms Project in Delphi Projects.
4. Double Click the main form and you will see the following similar source code:
Windows, Messages, SysUtils, Variants, Classes, Graphics, Controls, Forms, Dialogs;
procedure FormCreate(Sender: TObject);
procedure TForm12.FormCreate(Sender: TObject);
5. Move the cursor in the FormCreate, and then Click Tools->Documentation Insight Express->Show Documentation in the IDE. (Or press the hot key Ctrl+Alt+D in the source editor)
You should see the Documentation window. By default, it is floating over the source editor. You may dock it to proper position.
Documentation Insight always extracts necessary meta data (such as parameters) from the current code element to make it easier to document your code.
Now you are able to naturally write documentation. Documentation Insight will automatically generate well-formatted XML documentation and update the source code. For example:
Generated XML Documentation:
6. That's all. Now you may switch to the Preview mode to view the API documentation. Help Insight should also work when you move mouse over the FormCreate method.
Once you get started with Documentation Insight, be sure to also check out the Professional edition available from DevJet to get an expanded feature set. You can also watch a quick Documentation Insight tutorial video. Learn more at DevJet Software - http://www.devjet.net/.